Modak is believed to be the favorite sweets of Lord Ganesha. Ganesh Chaturthi or Vinayaka Chaturthi is a popular Hindu festival that celebrates the birth of Lord Ganesha. Ganesh Chaturthi is the birth of the elephant-headed deity Ganesha. Lord Ganesh is believed to be the god of prosperity and wisdom. He is considered as Vighnaharta, who removes all obstacles in life.
Hindus believe that Ganesha loves Modak hence he is also called Modakpriya. The specialty of this festival is the ‘Modaks’ which is the sweet dumpling considered as the favorite food of Lord Ganesha. He is also worshipped at the beginning of every work in Sanatana Dharma.
I am sharing my version of healthy Modaks. Delicious nutty and sugar-free Modak is healthy and super easy to make. Made with dates and crunchy nuts, this healthy treat can be enjoyed throughout the year. Do offer these pretty treats to our beloved Ganesha and make him happy🌸🙏
HERE IS OUR RECIPE VIDEO OF SUGAR-FREE MODAKS TO WATCH!
HERE IS THE PRINTABLE VERSION OF THE RECIPE!
- 300 grams Dates (used Mejdool dates)
- 1/4th cup Raisins
- 1/4th cup Walnuts (roughly chopped)
- 1/4th cup Almonds (roughly chopped)
- 1/4th cup Cashewnuts (roughly chopped)
- 1/4th cup Pistachio
- 2 tbsp Desiccated coconut
- 1 tbsp Poppy seeds
- 3 tbsp Clarified Butter (ghee)
- 1 tsp Cardamom powder
- 1 tbsp Dried rose petals (optional)
- Firstly, De-seed the dates. Add raisins and grind to a smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Grind walnuts, almonds, cashew nuts, and pistachio to a coarse powder. Keep aside.
- In a pan, put ghee. Once the ghee melts, add the coarse nuts, desiccated coconut, and roast for 2 mins on low flame.
- Add dried rose petals, poppy seeds and roast for 1 min more. Add cardamom powder and combine.
- Make a well in between and add ghee and pureed dates. Combine and cook for 2 mins. Combine with nuts and cook for 1 min more on low flame.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl. Mix and make a dough with a spatula. Cool the mixture.
- To make Modaks, grease the Modak molds with ghee and create Modak shapes.
- Delicious healthy sugar-free Modaks are ready.
- I have used Mejdool dates as I love the texture, quality, and sweetness of these dates. You can use any dates of your choice.
- If you don't have Modak molds, you can simply make Ladoos from the mixture.
Comments are closed.