Besan Ki Barfi is s a traditional festive delight and the most popular North Indian sweet enjoyed throughout the year. Besan ki barfi is a gram flour fudge made with besan, sugar, ghee and, cardamom powder. This delicious mouth-melting sweet is prepared on festivals, occasions, celebrations and enjoyed by everyone including kids. I will be giving a twist to this recipe and will be cooking the besan in milk which will give these barfis a richer, moist, daanedar texture, and delicious taste.
HERE IS OUR RECIPE VIDEO OF BESAN MILK BARFI TO WATCH!
HERE IS THE PRINTABLE VERSION OF THE RECIPE!
Besan Milk Barfi
- 200 grams Clarified butter (ghee)
- 500 grams Besan (gram flour)
- 1/4th tsp Turmeric powder
- 300 ml Hot boiled milk
- 2 tbsp Saffron Milk
One String Consistency Sugar Syrup
- 500 grams Sugar
- 250 ml Water
- 1 tsp Cardamom Powder
- Take a heavy bottom wide pan. Add ghee and heat on medium flame.once the ghee melts, put besan and roast for 25 mins on medium flame.
- Stir continuously on medium flame to avoid besan burning from bottom.
- After 25 mins, besan absorbs all the ghee and becomes lighter & softer.
- Keep roasting for 15 mins more on medium flame and stir continuously non-stop.
- After 15 mins, of constant stirring and roasting, Besan changes deep golden in colour, smells aromatic and releases ghee and besan mixture thins down gradually.
- Once the besan is roasted nicely, add turmeric powder and combine.Turmeric powder gives a nice colour to the barfi.
- Don't roast the besan further as it will become darker brown in colour and will give a bitter taste.
- Roasting the besan took 40 mins on medium flame.
- Add hot milk in intervals and keep combining and stir continuously on high flame for 5 mins.
- Besan absorbs all the milk. Now add saffron milk(7strands of saffron soaked in hot milk for 5mins) and combine.
- Adding milk gives barfi a daanedar and moist texture and a rich delicious taste to barfi.
- Besan has absorbed all the milk and daanedar texture. keep it aside.
One String Consistency Sugar Syrup
- In a pan pour water and sugar. Stir well and dissolve the sugar completely on a high flame.
- Once it starts bubbling and boiling, add cardamom powder and combine.
- Let it cook for a few mins until it reaches one-string consistency.
- It took 10 mins to get a one-string consistency.
- Lower the flame to check one-string consistency. Take 2 tbsp sugar syrup in a bowl and cool it. Now, take a few drops of sugar syrup between your thumb and forefinger. Separate the fingers gently and you should see a long string. Turn off the heat when you see this consistency.
Setting the Besan Barfi
- Grease an 8-inch rectangle/square tray with ghee lined with baking paper.
- Roast the besan again for 2 mins on medium flame so that it releases ghee.
- Add hot sugar syrup and combine and cook on high flame. Stir continuously.
- The texture of besan becomes soft and fluffy and starts leaving the pan.
- Once the mixture starts leaving the pan, don't cook further. Besan mixture is ready to set.
- Pour the besan milk mixture immediately on the greased tray and level it.
- Put warq for decoration and garnish with almond & pista slivers.
- Leave and set it for 6 hours at room temperature.
- Once set, slice it into squares.
- Delicious, rich, moist, and melt-in-mouth barfis are ready.
- Besan should be roasted well on medium flame till it has a deep golden brown colour. It should not have a raw taste.
- Stir continuously while roasting besan to avoid burning from the bottom. Once the besan is roasted, don't roast it further as it will turn darker brown in colour and will give a bitter taste.
- I have added turmeric powder to the besan mixture to give it a nice colour. There will be no taste of turmeric as it will be roasted in besan. It is totally optional if you don't want to put it.
- Sugar syrup has to be of strong one-string consistency. A thin one-string consistency will not set the barfi. Usually, it takes 10 mins to cook sugar syrup to get this consistency.
- Lower the flame to check one-string consistency. Take 2 tbsp sugar syrup in a bowl and cool it. Now, take a few drops of sugar syrup between your thumb and forefinger. Separate the fingers gently and you should see a long string. Turn off the heat when you see this consistency. If you don't get this consistency, then cook the sugar syrup for 1 min more and check accordingly.
- Roast the besan and make it warm before adding hot sugar syrup to the besan mixture.
- Store the barfis in an air-tight container.
- Besan milk barfi takes more time to set in comparison to the normal besan barfi.
- Barfis will stay fresh for 4 days at room temperature and after 4 days refrigerate it as the barfi contains milk. Consume the barfis within 2 weeks.